Saturday 31 July 2010

Why do you do it?

I have just recieved an email from a photographer friend who has been keeping an eye on my blog.

She asked the question, "I have noticed that whilst other wedding photographers are your competition in business, you promote their websites by placing links to them in your blog posts?"

The answer in my mind is simple. Why Not?

There are a great many fantastic photographers out there. I hope that I am one of them and Yes, I would like any brides who happen to read my blog to look at my website and allow me to photograph their wedding day.


But there are a number of simple truths about the wedding photography business.

The first is simple. There are thousands of brides looking for wedding photographers. I only take on 40 weddings each year. So why not point brides in the direction of my peers, they then have a list of photographers from a professional wedding photographers perspective.

Secondly, brides have a very definate idea of the type of results they want. I appreciate that any photographer worth his salt can take and produce the album of a brides dreams. By pointing the bride in the direction of other websites she may see something on each of three websites that she wants included and can discuss with me at a meeting. If I am not capable or comfortable with the ideas suggested I will always refer them to a photographer that I believe is suitable.

It's another case of communication is key. There are other photographers out there, the bride is aware of this and I am aware that she is aware. So why would I pretend on my blog that I am the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment