Thursday 16 December 2010

Wedding photography at "The Gherkin" in London

 The wedding of Rahael Kilby Tyre and Alun Robinson Parry @ Searcys 40/30 at The Gherkin

If you gave the address, 30 St Mary Axe in the City of London, and most people would stare at you blankly. If you said "The Gherkin Building" most people would know exactly where you were talking about. Lets face it, it is one of the most iconic buildings, not only in London, but across the world.

Not only is The Gherkin a fabalous building, it has a second to none venue at the very top (and I mean the very top) run as Searcy 40/30. A comapny that knows what they are doing, why they are doing it and most impotantly, who they are doing it for. Dealing with Oliver, the functions manager was a pleasure throughout and the staff were, without going over the top, brilliant.

But the story starts months before.......

When Rachael contacted me about photographing her wedding, I didn't realise that it was going to be on the same scale as a Hollywood production. Not because of the numbers of guests, about 120, but because each location was so far apart considering the tight schedules that weddings have to run to. The bride lives in the Cotswolds. The groom spends most of the week at his London apartment, the ceremony would be in the City of London, the groom would be in the docklands apartment, the hairdresser was in the West End and the brides suite was...... well, I think you are getting the drift.

A short telephone conversation later and David Purslow, a friend and great pro photographer was on board.

A week later and I had visited The Gherkin as a guest of Searcys 4030 and scouted the location, checking for lighting issues etc. At the same time I had visited a number of locations for a pre wedding shoot which yielded Leadenhall market and Millennium bridge as my two favourites.

Another week later and the dress was announced to me.... you will see from the images why when I heard about the colour my heart soared... a photographers dream, given the Searcys venue.

Another week and I visited the florist, Clare Lee, to see the plans and colour schemes. I came away thinking, WOW.

And before long the weekend arrived. I met David at our hotel early on the Friday to finalise our shooting arrangements. Then in the evening we joined the bridal party for an informal get together. Then to bed early as I had to be across London at the hairdressers by 8am.

The day unfolded like clockwork. I met the bride and stayed with her (joined later by the three bridesmaids. Poppy, Bethan and Evie) until the ceremony.

David met the groom and covered the arrival of the guests.

Our thanks to The City of London Registrars who assisted David and I by allowing photography throughout the service. They really did want what was best for the couple.

So now the day is over but captured forever, please enjoy the images.....Sorry that they are not in order...









No comments:

Post a Comment