Thursday 9 September 2010

Microstock Photography

I have watched and listened with great interest over the last few years about the ever growing microstock phenomena. Most of the professional photographic magazines have covered the subject, which generally means that the subject is still up for debate. So should we still be discussing this issue? Hell yes, at least until I've had my say on the matter.

There seems little point in writing an "article" on microstock when much better writers and thinkers have done the job admirably. So what I intend to do here is look at some of the questions raised and statements made in articles that I have read and give my (as a working pro) perspective on the opportunities that exist. Yes I did use the word "opportunities". I believe that this area of the photographic industry is in it's infancy and not saturated as some doom and gloom merchants would have us believe.

So who am I to give the following opinions on the microstck photography industry. Well I'm a nobody in the world of microstock photography but I have been monitoring it's progress carefully leading up to my involvement and the part that I want it to play in my future. As you will see from my blog, I am a professional wedding photographer - a photographic world away, but I do believe that my opinion is as worthwhile as some of the so called experts in the field. I'm just providing another facet for people interested in getting into this arena to consider. What you should do is be as aware as I am that this is only my opinion.

So onwards and upwards, the questions and statements that I have come across in articles that I have read are followed by my take on things.

The price charged by microstock agencies has devalued our work.
For me it is about earning an income not about me as an artist. I am never going to be in the bracket of photographic superstar. That's not me being humble, it's just a fact. Selling an image for £5000 is hard work and quite frankly for most of us it is impossible. However, selling an image for £1 5000 times over a period is more realistic. Some may say that selling an image 5000 times is not possible, but were they not the ones who want to charge £5000 for it. If it is worth, in real terms £5000 them I am positive that 5000 people will be willing to give you one measly pound. To me, the value of one of my images equates exactly to the difference it makes to my bank balance. Many online businesses (an example) start in a back bedroom somewhere. The owner of that business can more than likely afford to shell out £1 for an image for his/her website. There are very few who require a unique image costing a huge amount more and even less willing or able to pay for it. These start up and established businesses with a limited budget run into the millions across the globe. Given that my cash flow is imperative to my business success I feel much more comfortable following this route to market.
In a nutshell, I am unwilling to hawk my images around the ad agencies when I can simply put it into the hands of a microstock agency whilst I spent my time producing even more saleable images.
It's true that at dinner parties, it is less glamorous to say £1 when asked "How much does your work go for" than answering £5000. I'll say £1 and point to the car outside any day over saying £5000 and then leaving on a bus.

There are too many amateur photographers putting out work through microstock sites.
This may seem to contradict an earlier post on the virtues of a professional wedding photographer over an amateur photographer but as I mentioned earlier, the two disciplines are worlds apart in photography terms.
On the wedding side it is a capture (correctly) now or lost forever scenario and with microstock it isn't. It's as simple as that.
There are some fantastic photographers out there who don't make their income from photography but have captured a number of images that are very saleable. Should they just leave them to rot on their hard drive? I think not. Would they be confident or have the back up equipment to cover a wedding. Who knows.
With no pressure on having to produce an image we are left (amateur and professional alike) with only one question. Does it sell?
I would suggest that the person who made the above statement is more than a little worried about talented competition over whether a person makes a living out of photography.
If you are an amature photographer, please do not be put off by such statements, they can only be born from jealousy or jobs for the in crowd. The simple rule of thumb is if it is accepted by the agencies it is good and if it is not accepted go look at doing it again until you get it right.

Can I make a living out of microstock photography?
How the hell should anyone be able to answer a question like this I don't know. Unless of course they are a big player in the industry and happen to have an intimate knowledge of your work.



Should I go exclusive with one agency?



What are the best agencys to work with?



What sort of images sell?



There are too many images online for anyone person to make a living out of microstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment