Friday 12 June 2009

Moving Forward

It’s not that I don’t use computers, I do. I use email to communicate, Goggle for the things I need to find out about and ebay. I use digital cameras and software to enhance my business, so I’m not a total computer novice but there were limits.
This month I have decided to change all of that.
I have started writing this blog and so far it seems like fun. I am in the process of (after 20 odd years in business) putting together my first web site and I have joined a forum for photographers.

So “why now”?

The Nicholas James Photography Blog
I’m not really sure what the purpose of blogging is but it does appear to be somewhat like keeping a diary. Something that I’ve been meaning to do for years. So lets see how it goes. Mostly it will be about my life as a photographer and all things in the photographic world, but from time to time I may deviate into the personal.

Joining a Forum
I’ve always been keen to talk to other like minded people, especially about business related topics and in particular, photography. Getting to know what others are doing, opinions on new equipment or just chin wagging. Until now, this seems to have been the remit of attending courses and exhibitions. Now I have the ability to log on at anytime and converse with others. There has only been one problem with this so far – I keep taking breaks to look at new posts.

The Web Site
http://www.nicholasjamesphotography.co.uk/
I could never see the point in me having a web site. My business has been going for years, I have more requests than I can handle, I never advertise and all of my work comes from word of mouth. This year I am fully booked and talking to clients about next year’s available dates. I really could not see the benefit.
Until someone pointed out that whilst I attended courses to evolve as a photographer, my business image was stagnant. Well, I have never thought of my business as stagnant, I run around at 100mph most of the time so how could it be, but if that were the perception, then it needed to be changed. I consider myself cutting edge in photographic terms so will now reflect that on the web. At this stage it is early days so please do not judge the site too harshly, but soon it will be up there with the best.
Not having the ability to write the whole thing from scratch, not wanting to pay a designer (I was quoted £10,000) astronomical sums, I have opted for a supplier called Phosys I hope it works out.

http://www.nicholasjamesphotography.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment